MMSC's mission is to enhance the economic, social, cultural and environmental well-being of historic downtown business districts in Missouri - within the context of historic preservation - using educational tools of the Main Street Four-Point Approach® to Revitalization, as developed by the National Trust for Historic Preservation's Main Street Program. Putting our mission into action begins with THREE SIMPLE WORDS: MMSC assists communities to:
- Explore ways to make downtown a destination and the heart of the community.
- Explore the interdependence of people and businesses to develop a healthy economy.
- Explore the planning tools that can make downtown a fun place to live, work, play, and invest.
- Care for and protect their historic and cultural assets.
- Care for existing businesses so they can build their vitality and potential to grow.
- Care for and strengthen relationships between civic organizations and local government to build consensus and support community-building activities.
- Prepare to create jobs for the local workforce.
- Prepare a long-term planning strategy that will ensure the success of the downtown revitalization effort.
- Prepare local leaders to take the steps necessary for continued vitality of their downtown and their community as a whole.