Winter weather can wreak havoc on a building and if not maintained, can cause further long-term damage. In order to prevent expensive headaches in the future, building owners can take those simple steps to ensure the longevity of their building.
- After extreme weather, such as an ice storm, inspect the building’s exterior for damage and the interior for roof leaks. (30 min)
- Inspect the interior of the building for leaks during and after the first heavy ice/snow of the season. (30 min)
- Sweep debris from flat or low sloping roofs. (30 min)
- Examine the roof flashing for a tight fit and proper watershed where any horizontal surface meets a vertical surface (chimney, parapet cap, and roof). (30 min)
- Clean out gutters and downspouts, and inspect for damage that might have occurred during freeze-thaw cycles. (1 hour)